Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Knit-ty Gritty

Jane Birkin 1969.


This is Jane Birkin. Yes, the one in the beautiful, white, floor-length, long-sleeved, open-front crochet gown. When I saw this picture, I was awestruck. Jane Birkin is an English actress/singer. I had no idea who she was before researching her name once I saw this casual yet sooo not casual dress.

If in your head you're thinking, "Birkin... Birkin... I know that name," then like me, you were wondering if she had any relation to the iconic timepiece, the Hermes Birkin bag. As a matter of fact, Hermes chief executive, Jean-Louis Dumas created the Birkin bag in 1981 specifically for Jane Birkin. Like, what? Dumas sat next to Birkin on a flight from Paris to London (of course) and after she knocked over her bag, everything in it spilled all over the plane. She complained that she couldn't find a good leather travel bag, so he designed one for her. Cool. I'll be sure to spill my shit all over the next flight I take, hoping a designer will be sitting next to me and create an iconic bag in my name. 

Anyway, I'm getting off topic again. This is not about Jane Birkin, but about that dress she is totally rocking in 1969. It's summertime. Or at least it will be, once my 2 finals today are over. Regardless- summertime is right around the corner and crochet is definitely a must-have in your closet for this season.

Think about all the rooftop parties, the yacht excursions and the beach picnics you'll be attending. Or not attending. Either way, crochet is definitely a go-to piece to throw on over your bikinis.

Emilio Pucci's Birkin-inspired crochet gown


Other crochet pieces:

Emilio Pucci

Julien MacDonald

Malandrino

Gucci







No comments:

Post a Comment